Tomato Basil Cheesy Tortellini Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 package of tortellini pasta
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- ¼ cup pasta water (reserved from cooking the tortellini)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Once boiling, start the sauce.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over low heat until onions start to turn translucent (3-4 min). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute and then cook on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the 1 tsp. dried basil and 3 oz. tomato paste, stir everything together and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream and stir over low heat until combined, then add the ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (add more to make a thicker sauce). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to stir and then add the ¼ cup reserved pasta water. Next, add the tortellini, stir to combine, and garnish with more parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil.
- This dish pairs well with the J. Lohr Pure Paso® Proprietary Red Wine. The full-bodied, complex flavors of this red blend complement the creamy cheese and bright basil.