SAVORY SUMMER GALETTE
Recipe and photo courtesy of: Amisha Gubani, The Jam Lab
Savory Galette Dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ sticks, unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 tbsp ice water (2 tbsp more if required)
- Basil Walnut Pesto:
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cracked pepper
- ½ cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 zucchini shaved slices
- 1 summer squash shaved slices
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (different colors)
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 small ball fresh mozzarella cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1/3 cup fresh sheep milk cheese or goat cheese
- Maldon Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 3-4 small peppers sliced thin
- 5-6 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1 egg wash(1 egg and 1 tbsp water/milk whisked together till smooth
- Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, dried thyme and whisk until blended.
- Add the butter and using a pastry blender, mix until the butter is partially broken up but still chunky, like pea sized.
- Add 6 tbsp of the ice water, and toss until the dough is uniformly moist, and holds together when pinched. If it seems too dry, add 2 more tbsp of ice water.
- Gather the dough with your hands, shape into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to roll out.
- Basil Walnut Pesto:
- In a food processor, add the basil, walnuts, salt, pepper, garlic, parmesan cheese, and blend until it is all mixed well together. Slowly add the olive oil from the top of the food processor, while the processor is running, and let it blend well together for a minute. Store into a storage bottle, and add olive oil on the top to preserve.
- Store in the fridge.
- Put baking steel in the oven, and then pre-heat to 400 degrees (for 45 min), or without baking steel until it goes upto 400 degrees.
- Using extra flour as required, roll out the dough on a flat surface, into an even circle about 14 inches wide. Cut out a 1 inch border, using a sharp knife. You can cut out shapes using the pie cutters from the border removed, to make the galette look pretty. If you do not want to cut out pie shapes, simply roll out the galette into a 12 inch diameter circle.
- Spread about 1 cup of the pesto in the center of the circle, leaving a 2 inch border to wrap up the galette. Now add the mozzarella slices as desired, along with the goat cheese or sheep’s milk cheese. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Now add the heirloom tomato slices as desired, along with the zucchini and summer squash ribbons. Sprinkle half of the corn as well. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Gently wrap the dough around
- the galette, so that the folds overlap slightly to form a pentagon or hexagon pattern. Sprinkle more corn on the top, along with the sliced peppers.
- Brush the egg wash over the galette dough gently as well the pie cuts. Now add the pie cutouts on top of the galette circumference to make it look pretty.
- Put it on your baking steel for 45 minutes, or until brown. It should not exceed an hour. Remove your galette gently from the oven and let it cool slightly for 10 minutes. Then slice and it is ready to eat!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.