J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay Creamed Mushrooms on Toast
Here’s an easy appetizer or main course, combining classic, rich Chardonnay and mushroom flavors.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jamie Gwen.
Serves: 4 small plates
- 1 oz. dried Morel mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. brown or white button mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 4 large, thin slices of crusty bread
- parsley, freshly chopped (for garnish)
- Place the dried morels in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Let the morels sit for half an hour, then drain and reserve soaking liquid for your next mushroom soup or stock.
- Cut each morel in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and 2 Tbsp. of the butter in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the fresh mushrooms and cook over high heat until the mushrooms release their juices and begin to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- When the mushrooms have caramelized, add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter along with the soaked morels and the minced shallot.
- Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring often.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the J. Lohr Chardonnay and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to a thin sauce.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, toast the bread lightly on each side.
- Spoon the mushrooms and sauce over the toast.
- Garnish the plates with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- Pair with a glass of J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.