Mushroom, Blackberry, and Herb Goat Cheese Grilled Flatbread
The perfect combination of mushrooms, blackberries, and herb goat cheese, this flatbread is a delicious vegetarian appetizer.
Serves: 4 as an appetizer
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing flatbread
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly shaved, reserve fronds
- 8 oz. assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. herb goat cheese
- 2 pieces flatbread
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the shallot, and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add the fennel to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Add the fig balsamic to pan and stir until vinegar has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let mushroom mixture cool until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- When ready to grill, have all ingredients ready by the grill. Turn heat on the grill down to low.
- Brush one side of each flatbread with a little olive oil. Place on the hot grill and grill 2-3 minutes or just until bread is warm.
- Flip flatbread over and quickly brush with more olive oil. Spread each flatbread with some of the mushroom mixture, Havarti cheese, and goat cheese. Close the hood of the grill and cook for 5 minutes or just until cheese melts.
- Remove the flatbread from the grill and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and fresh blackberries.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.