Mushroom, Blackberry and Herb Goat Cheese Grilled Flatbread
Serves 4 as an appetizer
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing flatbread
1 small shallot, minced
1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly shaved, reserve fronds
8 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
1 cup havarti cheese, shredded
2 ounces herb goat cheese
2 pieces flatbread
1 pint fresh blackberries
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the shallot, and saute starting to brown about 5 minutes.
- Add the fennel to the pan, and cook until softened about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Add the fig balsamic to pan, and stir until vinegar has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let mushroom mixture cool until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- When ready to grill, have all ingredients ready by the grill. Turn heat on the grill down to low.
- Brush one side of each flatbread with a little olive oil. Place on the hot grill, and grill just until bread is warm about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip flatbread over, and quickly brush with more olive oil. Spread each flatbread with some of the mushroom mixture, havarti and goat cheese. Close the hood of the grill, and cook just until cheese melts about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the flatbread from the grill, and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and fresh blackberries.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.