Late Summer Crostata
With pears, blackberries and a touch of cinnamon, this Late Summer Crostata is perfection!
Serve with J. Lohr Estates Bay Mist White Riesling or J. Lohr Late Harvest White Riesling.
- 10 Tbsp. butter, cut up
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup plus 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 4 - 5 pears, peeled, cored & sliced into eighths
- 1 cup blackberries, optional
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix 8 tablespoons of the butter, flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar until sandy.
- In a separate bowl, blend the egg yolk and the crème fraîche. Add the blended egg yolk and crème fraîche to the flour mixture, and mix until barely combined.
- Form into a disk and chill. Meanwhile, toss the sliced pears with 1/2 cup of the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface and cut out 8-inch disks or 1 large round disk and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Place the apples and blackberries in the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch flap of dough around the edge.
- Fold over the flap onto the apples, forming a rustic, uneven rim around the crostata. (The pears should NOT be completely covered with the dough.)
- Dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Brush the edge with the cream and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until light golden brown and apples are tender. Allow to cool.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.