Lemon Risotto with Mascarpone and Peas
If you love a lemony flavor with a hint of springy peas, you will love this risotto. The perfect meatless Monday dish or for any day really. This Lemon Risotto with Mascarpone and Peas has bright notes of zesty lemon, creamy mascarpone, perfumed with fresh chives and fresh peas. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 larger shallots peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cups chardonnay wine
- 6 cups stock vegetable or chicken
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3/4 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 4 heaping tbps mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- 3 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Bring the broth and saffron to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and keep the broth warm over the low heat.
- In a large skillet over medium low flame add in the olive oil and shallots, sautée together until translucent.
- Stir in the risotto rice and toss to coat in the oils. Toast for a minute or so then hit it with the white wine. Once the wine has been almost fully absorbed start adding in the stock a ladleful at a time while maintaining a constant gentle simmer. Make sure to stir well every time you add more stock and never let the rice dry out completely before adding more liquid.
- Before you add your last ladle of stock, add in the fresh peas and let them cook for the last few minutes. Should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off heat, scoop out the mascarpone cheese, grate parmesan cheese and zest and juice of the lemon. Mix well until fully combined. Add in the fresh chives.
- Serve with a little extra parmesan cheese and Chardonnay.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.