Daube Provençale (Provençal Stew)
From the kitchen of our own J. Lohr President/COO Jeff Meier, here’s a traditional winter stew that goes well with the J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah – one of this club shipment’s new releases.
Prep Time: 35 min.
Cook Time: 2 hrs plus
- 3 lbs beef chuck steak or lamb shoulder
- 4 thick slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 white onions, medium diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into thick diagonal slices
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 sprigs each: rosemary, thyme,and flat leaf parsley, tied in a bundle
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 1 cup canned tomatoes)
- Zest of one orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of allspice
- 1⁄2 bottle of J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah
- 1⁄4 cup pitted Niçoise olives
Cut the meat into large pieces, removing any excess fat. Dice the bacon. Bring a Dutch oven to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the bacon to the pan and render the fat. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Season the meat with salt and pepper; sear in the bacon fat in batches until nicely browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan; add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the wine to the vegetables to deglaze, stir well. Add the tomatoes and the herb bundle. Return the meat to the pot together with the orange zest and bacon. Add enough water to just cover the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the meat is tender (at least two hours - you may transfer the pot at this point to a 350 degree oven). Adjust the seasoning if necessary and add the olives.
Serve over egg noodles and pair with J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah.