Daube Provençale (Provençale Stew)
From the kitchen of our own J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines President/COO Jeff Meier, here’s a traditional, savory winter stew that pairs beautifully with J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah and blends this rich, flavorful wine into the sauce.
Enjoy, and prepare for the compliments!
Prep Time: 35 min.
Cook Time: 2 hrs plus
- 3 lbs. beef chuck steak or lamb shoulder
- 4 thick slices smoked bacon
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 white onions, medium diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into thick diagonal slices
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 sprigs each: rosemary, thyme,and flat leaf parsley, tied in a bundle
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 1 cup canned tomatoes)
- zest of one orange
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of allspice
- 1⁄2 bottle of J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah
- 1⁄4 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- Cut the meat into large pieces, removing any excess fat. Dice the bacon.
- Bring a Dutch oven to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the bacon to the pan and render the fat.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper; sear in the bacon fat in batches until nicely browned on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan; add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the wine to the vegetables to deglaze, stir well.
- Add the tomatoes and the herb bundle.
- Return the meat to the pot together with the orange zest and bacon.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the meat is tender (at least two hours - you may transfer the pot at this point to a 350 degree oven).
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary and add the olives.
- Serve over egg noodles and pair with J. Lohr Tower Road Petite Sirah.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.