We asked J. Lohr Winemaker, White Wine Kristen Barnhisel if she’d be willing to share a favorite holiday recipe. Her family’s Chicken Mornay sounds wonderful…
“Now that there is a bit of chill in the air and the grapes are safely in the cellar fermenting away, my thoughts turn to celebrating the holidays with friends and family. There is truly something special about enjoying a great meal with the best company! My favorite, go-to dish at this time of year would have to be my mom’s Chicken Mornay with “The Good Rice.” It wafts such lovely aromas throughout the house and pairs perfectly with our 2019 J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay! Wishing you much peace, laughter, good food, and great wine this holiday season.” Bon appétit! - Kristen
Chicken and Mornay Sauce
- 8 seasoned chicken breasts, cooked (bake for 25 minutes at 425°F, then 25 minutes at 325°F)
- 1 or 2 large broccoli heads, uncooked, cut into florets
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 shallot
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
"The Good Rice"
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1-2 Tbsp. parsley
- 2 cups beef or other consommé
- Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a saucepan.
- Add 4 Tbsp. flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes until mixed.
- Take off head and add 1 shallot chopped (if desired), 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup cream and 1/4 cup sherry.
- Mix well and put on medium heat until boiling, then cook 1-2 minutes.
- Place the chicken breasts, broccoli, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and Mornay sauce in a large 9" x 13" pan, then top with another 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the dish at 350°F for 30 minutes.
"The Good Rice"
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in oven-proof casserole dish.
- Cook 1 chopped onion in butter on stove top.
- Cook 1 cup long grain white rice on stove top, per package directions.
- Combine onion and rice with 1-2 Tbsp. parsley and 2 cups beef or other consommé.
- Cover and bake in 350°F oven for an hour.
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.