Braised Lamb Shanks
Recipe courtesy of Chef Patricio Patino, Sotano Restaurant
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Serves 2 to 4
- 2 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut in to 1⁄4 in. rounds
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 3 thyme leaves
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 qt. demi-glace
- Clean fat from lamb shanks, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook shanks until browned on all sides – about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the same pot and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine and tomato paste. Season with fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage. Continue to cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add shanks back into the pot and cover with demi-glace. Bake covered in pre-heated oven at 375°F for 2 to 3 hours, checking often.
- Serve over pappardelle or oven-roasted potatoes.
- Enjoy with a glass of J. Lohr wine!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.