Beef Teppanyaki with Local Honey Ponzu Sauce
A match made in heaven. Easy-to-make, savory Beef Teppanyaki paired to the ripe berry fruit tones of J. Lohr Estates Los Osos Merlot. Just be sure to allow enough time for marinating!
Recipe courtesy of Chef Hy Tran.
- 2 8oz Flank Steaks
- 2 Shallots Each (Minced)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Each (Minced)
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Bottle Satay Oil (Strain Oil)
- 1 tsp. Mustard Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 Cucumber Each
- 1 Bunch of Scallion
- 1 Bulb of Ginger
Local Honey Ponzu Sauce
- 1 Bottle Ponzu Sauce
- 1 Bottle Local Honey
- Clean and trim flank steak of gristle and some fat. Strain out oil from satay and set aside.
- Combine, pulp (from satay), shallots, garlic and rub on flank steak to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Combine in mixing bowl; soy sauce, rice vinegar, powder, and sesame oil. Whisk in mustard powder and brown sugar until dissolved. Add wet mixture to beef, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours (longer the better).
- Julienne cucumbers, chop scallions, peel and grate ginger and set aside for garnish.
- Heat local honey in microwave and whisk together with ponzu sauce.
- Cook beef flank on hot grill, or cast iron griddle, until desired internal temperature. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place julienned cucumbers on plate, slice beef and assemble atop cucumbers. Garnish with scallions and grated ginger and spoon ponzu sauce on beef and serve!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.