DIY Wine Bottle Candles
Add a touch of warmth for your home with this crafty DIY wine bottle candle project.
- Empty Wine Bottles
- Bulk Wax Chips
- Candle Wicks
- Glass Bottle Cutter
- Emery Filing Paper
- Candlemaking Pitcher
- Scented Oils (Optional)
- Hot/Cold Water
*JLV&W does not endorse or recommend any specific brand of picture frame or hot glue gun
Step #1: Cutting Your Wine Bottle
- Using the directions provided with the glass bottle cutter, adjust the cutting blade to ensure it is perpendicular to the body of the wine bottle.
- Firmly hold the bottle on both ends, making sure the cutting blade is touching the glass.
- Rotate the bottle slowly to create an etched line around the entire circumference of the bottle.
Step #2: Separating the Top
- Boil water, when ready move over to the sink and pour the hot water over the top of the wine bottle while rotating for about 20 seconds.
- Immediately switch to pouring cold water over the top of the bottle while rotating for another 20 seconds.
- Repeat the above steps 2-3 more times, until the top separates.
Step #3: Smooth the Edge
- Carefully smooth and sand both the inside and outside edges of the wine bottle using the emory filing paper.
Step #4: Securing the Wick
- Cut the candle wick to your desired length. Then secure the wick on the bottom of the dry bottle with superglue or a hot glue gun.
- This will ensure the bottom of the wick stays in one place when you pour the wax.
Step #5: Heating the Wax
- When it comes time to melting your wax, be sure to read the instructions on your wax kit.
- With the soy wax kit we used, it is recommended to use the double boiler method. First, fill a large pot with a small amount of water and bring to a boil. Then add your candlemaking pitcher with wax and reduce heat.
- Continuously stir the wax to prevent it from burning. Check the temperature of the wax periodically as it is not to exceed 180°.
Step #6: Pour Your Wax
- After the wax is melted completely, turn off the heat. Let your wax cool slightly and add your favorite scented oil (optional).
- Pour the wax into your bottle, leaving space at the top with your wick exposed.