Soft Shell Crabs with Sweet Corn/Baby Carrot Hash
Recipe courtesy of Chef John Livera.
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, minced with stems removed
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh chives, minced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 lb. butter
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In medium saucepan on medium heat, reduce J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay by half.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in butter, creating a beurre blanc.
- Add some of the diced tomato, minced thyme, chives, a touch of garlic powder and the juice of half a lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay cleaned soft shell crabs onto a cookie tray lined with aluminum foil, placing a dollop of butter atop each crab.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not place crabs in oven until sauce is done.
Sweet Corn/Baby Carrot Hash Ingredients:
- 12–18 fingerling potatoes
- 36 baby carrots, with tops
- 3 ears sweet corn
- 1/4 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
Sweet Corn/Baby Carrot Hash Instructions:
- Start as soon as the crabs are placed in the oven.
- Keeping all ingredients separate, slice fingerling potatoes into coins.
- Blanch baby carrots, shock in ice bath.
- Shave corn from ears.
- Heat a large sauté pan with 4 tablespoons olive oil until oil is smoking, then add fingerling potatoes.
- Cook until the potatoes brown on each side, then add the shaved corn.
- Toss together in the pan for about a minute and deglaze with 1/4 cup J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay.
- Add baby carrots, toss, season with salt and pepper, then turn heat off.
- Lay out four plates, placing four equal amounts of hash in the center of each plate.
- Place three crabs on top of the hash, and spoon sauce over each crab.
- Enjoy with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.