Chardonnay-Cured Sardine, Cucumber, Baby Golden Beet and Mint Salad
Recipe courtesy of chef Lewis Rossman.
- 3 Chardonnay-cured sardine fillets (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cooked golden baby beets, halved
- 2 leaves fresh mint, chiffonade
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. The sardines should have enough residual oil on them to dress the salad. If necessary, add a little extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 lb fresh sardine fillets
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- juice and peel of 1 orange
- 1 tsp fennel seed, whole
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 12 black peppercorns, whole
- extra virgin olive oil to cover sardines
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the sardines and olive oil.
- Place the sardine fillets skin side up in a container and pour the mixture over the top.
- Place plastic wrap on the surface of the sardines to assure that they are covered by the liquid.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day remove from the liquid and pack tightly in a small container.
- Cover the sardines with a high quality extra virgin olive oil.
- The sardines are now ready to eat or store for up to 2 weeks. Serve with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.