Chardonnay-Cured Sardine, Cucumber, Baby Golden Beet and Mint Salad
Recipe courtesy of chef Lewis Rossman
- 3 Chardonnay-cured sardine fillets (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cooked golden baby beets, halved
- 2 leaves fresh mint, chiffonade
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. The sardines should have enough residual oil on them to dress the salad. If necessary, add a little extra virgin olive oil.
Chardonnay-Cured Sardines Ingredients:
- 1 lb fresh sardine fillets
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- juice and peel of 1 orange
- 1 tsp fennel seed, whole
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 12 black peppercorns, whole
- extra virgin olive oil to cover sardines
In a mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the sardines and olive oil. Place the sardine fillets skin side up in a container and pour the mixture over the top. Place plastic wrap on the surface of the sardines to assure that they are covered by the liquid. Place in the refrigerator overnight. The next day remove from the liquid and pack tightly in a small container. Cover the sardines with a high quality extra virgin olive oil. The sardines are now ready to eat or store for up to 2 weeks. Serve with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.