Butter Poached Scallops on Sugar Snap Risotto with Vanilla Poached Pears
Recipe courtesy of Chef Ryan Stewart.
- 2 pears, halved and cored
- 3 cups J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Boil in saucepan for 10 minutes until barely tender.
- 1 Tbsp. shallots, minced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 sugar snap peas
- Sauté shallots and garlic on medium heat, then add rice and J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay. Bring to a boil and stir constantly until liquid is fully absorbed. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly until liquid is fully absorbed. Make sure rice is tender—add more stock in small amounts if additional cook-ing is needed. Remove from heat, and add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 oz grated Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove strings from 10 sugar snap peas and blanch one minute to keep crunchy. Slice 1/2 inch thick and add to risotto.
- 1 lb butter
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 12 large sea scallops
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add garlic, salt and thyme. Adjust heat to low until warm, but not hot enough to separate the butter.
- Place sea scallops in the butter and increase heat to med-low.
- After 5 minutes, turn scallops over, and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Then remove scallops and place on paper towel.
- Using four plates, place 1/4 of risotto in middle of each plate.
- Put 3 scallops around the risotto.
- Slice pears and place on top of scallops and risotto.
- Enjoy with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.