Tis the season for crafting! Save your wine corks and upcycle them with this fun holiday decoration. These adorable cork reindeer are perfect for a stocking stuffer, host/hostess gift, table decoration, or as an ornament on the tree – the possibilities are endless!
- Straight sticks
- Twigs that branch off
- Small beads
- Colorful buttons
- Fabric squares
- Hot glue gun
- Screwdriver or ice pick
- Yarn (as many colors as you’d like)
- Toilet paper roll
Cork Reindeer Instructions:
- Select one of the two wine corks and mark four spots, two at the top and two at the bottom. These will be the legs of the reindeer.
- Using your knife cut the marks slightly – this will make it easier to create the holes.
- Insert your ice pick or screwdriver into the cuts to create holes.
- Take your straight stick and cut it into 4 pieces of equal length.
- Insert into the holes in the cork and stand up on a flat surface.
- Cut the sticks down if needed so the base can stand without falling over.
- Take the second cork and position it on the end of the other cork for the head.
- Mark the top of the bottom cork and the underside of the second cork in the center. This will create the reindeer’s neck. Create the hole repeating the same process used for the legs.
- Take your fabric square and cut a strip off. Tie around the neck of the reindeer and glue it down to create the scarf.
- Find a small, dried leaf and glue it to the bottom cork for the reindeer’s tail.
- Select a small button and glue it on the tip of the cork for the nose.
- Take the miniature yarn hat and position it on the back end of the cork. Using your hot glue gun, glue it on the back of the cork.
- Take two black beads and glue them onto the top cork for the eyes.
- Find a few twigs that branch off at the top and cut them down to use as the antlers. Insert the selected twigs into the top of the hat. Feel free to use a little hot glue at the ends to secure them into place if so desired.
Yarn Hat Instructions:
- Cut ½ inch to 1 inch off the top of the toilet paper roll.
- Fold it to fit the end of the wine cork and tape it together.
- Measure yarn to 10 inches; 10-15 strands of each color.
- Fold the yarn thread in half and push the loop side through the paper roll.
- Next, take the other end and fold it over the paper roll and pull it through the loop.
- Repeat this process with a solid color or alternating colors till the roll is full.
- Take the loose ends and twist them slightly, then push them through the center so they come out the other side.
- Take a piece of yarn and tie the ends together creating the top of the hat.
- Cut the extra ends off the yarn to create the pom-pom.