Chardonnay-Poached Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Papaya
With only ten easy ingredients, here’s an elegant springtime preparation that’s ideal for a weekend lunch or as a weeknight main course. Enjoy our J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay to add to the recipe as well as for enjoying alongside your creation.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kurt Clodfelter.
- 1 lb. 70/90 count peeled raw shrimp
- 1 cup J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup avocado, finely diced
- 3/4 cup papaya, finely diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. jalapeño pepper (no seeds), minced
- Rinse the shrimp under cool running water and drain well.
- In a large pot, bring the J. Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay
and water up to a simmer, and simmer with the salt for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the poaching liquid
and bring the liquid back to a simmer.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and allow them to sit in the pot
with a tight lid for 10 minutes.
- Strain the shrimp and return the poaching liquid to the pot.
- Place the shrimp
in the refrigerator to cool while bringing the poaching liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the liquid to a total of 1/4
- Whisk the butter into the sauce and simmer the sauce for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Allow the liquid to cool while mixing the mayonnaise, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro together.
- Toss the avocado and papaya with the juice of the lime.
- Whisk the cooled poaching liquid with the mayonnaise mixture and then toss the fruit and shrimp together with the dressing. Allow the mixture to chill for
one hour in the refrigerator.
- This salad is delicious on crackers, or over a simple mixed green salad, but is preferably served on thick cut Italian bread that has been lightly buttered and grilled, along with a chilled
glass of J. Lohr Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.