Skip to Main Content
  1. Wines
  2. Red Wines
  3. 2020 J. Lohr Gesture
Syrah Bottle Shot

2020 J. Lohr Gesture Syrah

$35.00 Sorry, Sold Out.
Be notified of future releases
90 Points, October 2022
91 Points, Gold 2023 Monterey International Wine & Spirits Competition

The 2020 J. Lohr Gesture Syrah showcases racy black cherry aromas, herbs, and spice. The palate is lush and lively: layers of blackberry, black cherry, and cassis wash across, giving way to dusty, textured tannins and a long finish.

— Brenden Wood, Red Winemaker and Steve Peck, V.P. Winemaking

Wine Details

  • Composition Blend
    • 100%


  • Origin

    Paso Robles AVA, San Luis Obispo County, CA

  • Cellaring

    Enjoyable now, it will age gracefully with proper cellaring for 5 to 7 years.

    7 Years
  • Food Pairings

    This hearty spice-filled red will prove a perfect match with wine-braised beef with mushrooms and windowpane potatoes.

Vineyard & Vintage

This limited J. Lohr Gesture Syrah comes from our McCornack Vineyard located in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles. This Syrah grows on soil series 113, described as Balcom-Calleguas complex, with 50% to 75% slopes. Only crawler tractors can be used to safely farm this site. This part of Paso Robles is an ancient uplifted sea bed; fossilized sea shells are often found in the ground, even though the site is perched at 1,500 foot average elevation.

Overall, precipitation for the 2020 season in Paso Robles was on par with its 25-year historical average. The spring saw temperate daytime temperatures which allowed the vines to have good flower bloom, healthy canopy growth, and modest fruit set (after two previous years of above-average crop loads). Late August and September saw record heat waves in California; fortunately, good canopies along with the moderate fruit loads allowed the vines to withstand the heat with little desiccation. Our Syrah was hand-picked from the challenging, gravelly slopes at McCornack. About 15% of the fruit was kept whole cluster and foot-stomped while the remaining 85% was destemmed and whole-berry sorted. The whole clusters and whole berries were combined together in a small, 6-ton open top tank and cold soaked for 4 days prior to fermentation. The 2020 J. Lohr Gesture Syrah was aged for 18 months on light lees in 3rd-fill French oak barrels to retain purity of fruit expression.

Family. Place. Craft. This is Our Story