Roasted Miso Orange Black Cod
Recipe courtesy of Chef Claude Gaty.
- 4 pieces (7 oz. each) black cod (aka sablefish or butterfish), skin off and deboned
- 12 oz. cleaned baby spinach
- 12 baby carrots, pre-steamed with tops removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt and ground white pepper
- miso orange marinade (recipe below)
- ponzu butter sauce (recipe below)
- optional: finely chopped yellow and red peppers, fresh sprigs of chive for garnish
Miso Orange Marinade Ingredients:
- 3 cups Mirin rice wine
- 6 oz. sake
- yellow miso paste
- 6 oz. orange juice
Miso Orange Marinade Instructions:
- Combine all marinade ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the liquid so the miso paste is well dissolved.
- Cool off completely, then cover prepared cod with marinade and refrigerate overnight.
Ponzu Butter Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 lb. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 3/4 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1/2 tsp. Japanese yuzu juice
- 1 dash soy sauce (salt replacement)
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
Ponzu Butter Sauce Instructions:
- In a sauce pan, using medium heat, warm up oil and sauté lemongrass, shallots, and thyme until shallots become translucent.
- Add J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay and reduce over medium heat to almost dry.
- Then, adjust temperature to low heat and whisk in butter until completely incorporated.
- Add yuzu juice, soy sauce and white pepper to taste.
- Filter the sauce through a fine mesh china cap and press the solids to extract the flavors.
- Reserve and keep warm, being careful not to break the emulsion
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove fish from marinade.
- Preheat olive oil in non-stick oven-safe skillet, and sear fish fillets on one side for a few seconds.
- Turn fillets over and place skillet in oven; cook for 8 minutes or until done.
- While the fish is cooking, warm up another skillet, add oil and sear chopped garlic.
- Add spinach leaves and cook until done, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess water from spinach and keep warm.
- Remove fish from oven and sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Wipe the skillet clean and heat it up again.
- Add oil and sear chopped ginger, then add the carrots and sauté for 45 seconds or till done.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For service, place spinach on the bottom of the plate and top with carrots. Add cod and sauce, then use garnish if desired. Enjoy with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.