Lolly’s Roast Chicken with Sage Stuffing
Recipe courtesy of Chef Tim Tavolar.
Serves: 4 to 6
Chicken in Brine Ingredients:
- 2 fresh California fryers (split, with backs removed)
- 1 qt. water
- 1 bottle J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lemons, halved and squeezed
Chicken in Brine Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients for the brine in a large container.
- Rinse chickens and place in brine.
- Leave for a minimum of 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
Sage Stuffing Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, dice
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and dice
- 1 bunch fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 lb. unseasoned croutons
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
- salt and pepper
Sage Stuffing Instructions:
- Sauté onions and celery in butter until soft.
- Add J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay and simmer until alcohol is removed.
- Add sage and croutons, and toss until celery and onions are evenly distributed.
- Place in a roasting pan so that stuffing is 1” to 2” deep.
- Remove chickens from brine and pat dry.
- Season with salt and pepper, and coat lightly in olive oil.
- Lay chicken halves skin-side-up on top of the stuffing.
- Roast at 350° until skin is golden brown and internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Enjoy with J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!
Please visit J. Lohr’s Recipes page for additional recipes and pairing ideas.