recipe courtesy of Lisa Jones and Jim Subject of Cahoots
This is a delicious combination of flavors, great year round but would be a good fit for the Holidays. Perfect with a holiday ham and our 40th Anniversary Red Wine!
- 2 large leeks, diced and washed
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cut in half, cores removed and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- ½ pound speck ham, 1/4” dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, and 2 medium, peeled
- 2 ½ pounds Yukon gold or other golf fleshed potato, no need to peel
- ½ pound Gruyere cheese or other good quality Swiss style cheese
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter together with the olive oil. Add the leeks, fennel, speck ham and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, until it starts to thicken. Add the thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Slice the sweet potatoes about 1/8” to 1/4” thick, set aside. Repeat with the gold potatoes, keep them separate.
4. Butter the inside of a 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish. Arrange one layer of sweet potatoes, overlapping at the half of each slice, on the bottom of the baking dish. Repeat with a layer of gold potatoes.
5. Spread 3/4 cup of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat potato layers, first sweet potatoes, then gold potatoes, and 1 cup of cream mixture. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. Pour the rest of the cream mixture over the top, spreading it evenly, submerging all potatoes. Top with cheese, cover loosely with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. Test for doneness. Let rest for 10 minutes. Serve.