Courtesy of Chef Mikhail Apelsinov, Executive Chef at Insignia Prime Steak and Sushi, Smithtown, New York
- 1 cup J. Lohr Estates Falcon’s Perch Pinot Noir
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup walnut oil
- ¼ cup sherry wine vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustardsalt and pepper
Place the J. Lohr Estates Pinot Noir in a wide, shallow saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to ¼ cup. Let cool. In a blender, combine reduced wine, sherry vinegar, maple syrup, chopped shallots, mustard and thyme. With the blender running, slowly add the oils until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 cups frisée, tough outer parts removed, cleaned
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 fresh cherry pepper or pimiento, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ½ to ¾ cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 thick slices applewood smoked bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until it is brown and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels.
In a large bowl, combine frisée, peppers, cranberries, and walnuts. Gently toss with vinaigrette to taste. Divide the salad among four individual serving plates and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Serve with a delicious glass of J. Lohr Estates Falcon’s Perch Pinot Noir!